As a former senior prosecutor, Joe tried dozens of violent felony cases to verdict. He brought his significant jury trial experience, as well as his expertise in understanding the needs of clients, to the firm in 2001. His current work focuses primarily on the areas of personal injury, toxic tort, public utility work, commercial, business, environmental, discrimination, and white collar criminal defense litigation.
Representing corporations, individuals, and utilities, Joe has handled cases involving negligence, labor law, product liability, wrongful death arising out of electrocution and drowning, and personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage claims arising out of natural gas explosions. In addition, Joe has represented clients in investigations and actions conducted or brought by state and federal authorities including the New York State Attorney General’s Office, O.S.H.A., United States Justice Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Federal and State Bureaus of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco, Internal Revenue Service, as well as various District Attorney’s offices. Joe’s litigation experience includes the defense of clients accused of violating environmental laws, committing bankruptcy or Medicaid fraud, or tax evasion. He has represented suppliers, product manufacturers, and premises owners in property damage and personal injury matters involving various hazardous substances, including, but not limited to, chemical products and asbestos. In his employment practice, Joe has handled discrimination cases in various forums including the EEOC, New York State Division of Human Rights, as well as state and federal courts.
- Represented utility in numerous investigations and defense of wrongful death, personal injury, property damage, and lost business revenue claims arising out of residential natural gas explosions throughout the state.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a construction company in a litigation involving chemical exposure to an employee.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a utility arising from a natural gas explosion at a large apartment complex.
- Successfully represented corporations in employment discrimination cases in state and federal courts as well as in the EEOC and New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Successfully defended a chemical manufacturer against both criminal and civil claims arising from a chemical release.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a property management corporation alleged to have discriminated against families with children at a housing complex on the basis of familial status in violation of the Fair Housing Act, as amended, Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968.
- Defended several chemical manufacturers and suppliers in a mass tort litigation arising from alleged chemical exposures to clean room workers in the manufacture of computer chips and related products.
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Georgetown University, B.S. Government, 1985
Admissions to Practice
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Courts of New York (All Districts)
- Monroe County Bar Association
– Judicial Screening Committee
– Litigation Section
- Certified New York State Mediator
- Receiver and Referee, New York State
Presentations & PUBLICATIONS
- "Investigating and Litigating a Case." Monroe County Bar Association Seminar, 2008.
- "The Methods of Selecting the Right Civil Jury." Firm Seminar, 2006.
- "The Criminalization of Health Care." Health Law Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, 2002. (Co-Author)
- "The Ins and Outs of Wade and Identification Proceedings." Monroe County District Attorney’s Office Seminar, 2000.
- "Criminal Procedure and Testimony Preparation." Rochester Police Department, 1995-2001. Instructor.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America®
– Commercial Litigation
– Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
– Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Selected to New York Super Lawyers®, since 2010
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
– Task Force Board
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Research Endowment
– Co-Founder and Co-Administrator
- Mirror Show Management
– Board Member
- Brighton Recreational Baseball Coach
- St. Louis CYO Basketball Coach
- Fairport Recreational Baseball Coach