Gerhard has more than 30 years of courtroom experience. Today, his practice is focused on the defense of product liability and other complex litigation matters, including mass torts and class actions. He represents manufacturers of appliances, HVAC equipment, roofing materials, truck-trailers, tires, and other products. He also has represented corporate clients in business disputes, commercial and employment litigation, CERCLA actions, and insurance coverage cases.
He tried his first case to a judge in 1985 winning an injunction in a trademark dispute. He tried his first case to conclusion before a jury in 1990 winning a defense verdict. While he still enjoys the excitement of a trial, Gerhard understands most clients do not. He provides sound and honest advice to clients so they have realistic expectations and tries to position cases for early and positive resolutions by thinking several moves ahead. It helps that his opponents recognize his skills and know he can try a case when needed.
When he is not working, you will generally find Gerhard with his wife Tami, who has put up with the long hours he works since that first trial back in 1985. They enjoy their children and grandchildren, spending summers at the Jersey Shore, and traveling when they can.
- Shafer v. Goodman Manufacturing
Won defense verdict from jury for manufacturer of a gas furnace in a wrongful death and survival action where the decedent was electrocuted while accessing the furnace.
- Durkin v. Wabash National, et al
Defeated a motion to remand in a wrongful death action removed on grounds of fraudulent joinder, and subsequently obtained summary judgment for trailer manufacturer after plaintiff’s experts abandoned theories when pressed during depositions.
- Conley v. Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC
Won summary judgment for tire manufacturer based on inadequate evidence that the client manufactured, distributed, or sold the tire.
- Awe v. Energy Solutions, LLC, et al
Won defense verdict from jury for manufacturer of specialty HVAC system against breach of warranty and UTCPL claims.
- HRT Litigation
Acted as liaison counsel for a group of defendants in the Hormone Therapy Litigation in Philadelphia’s Mass Tort Program.
- Class Action Litigation
Represented defendants in various class actions seeking medical monitoring, alleging violation of statutes, consumer fraud, and other torts, and involving appliances, cigarettes, pharmaceutical products, and tires.
- Shangy v. InBev
Achieved a major international brewer’s goals of terminating a Pennsylvania wholesaler and extinguishing the wholesaler’s claims to existing and future brand rights.
- Federated Life Insurance Co. v. Walker
Obtained summary judgment for insurer voiding disability policy.
- The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1984
– The Woolsack Society
- Gettysburg College, B.A. History and Business, cum laude, 1981
– Phi Alpha Theta
Admissions to Practice
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Courts of Pennsylvania (Eastern, Middle)
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court of New York (Southern)
Presentations & PUBLICATIONS
- Product Liability Desk Reference: A Fifty-State Compendium. Wolters Kluwer. (New Jersey Contributing Editor: Annually, 1996 to current edition) (Pennsylvania Contributing Editor: Annually, 2014 to current edition)
- "Ford Motor Co. Supreme Court Decision Muddies Limits of Personal Jurisdiction." Ward Greenberg Legal Update, May 2021. (Co-Author)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- Selected to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America©
– Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
– Product Liability Litigation - Defendants