In his insurance coverage and complex commercial litigation practice, David believes that it is critical to provide straightforward counsel at the outset, in order to develop an effective strategy and avoid unnecessary litigation. David’s experience covers a broad array of coverages, including general liability, excess/umbrella, pollution, builder’s risk, auto, property, employee dishonesty, professional, tech E&O, and cyber. He counsels clients on insurance coverage issues, performs detailed policy and insurance program reviews, drafts insurance procurement requirements in contracts and subcontracts, and works with insurance brokers to optimize coverage for clients. When a matter must be litigated, David is a dedicated and outspoken advocate for his clients. He has litigated complex insurance coverage issues, such as environmental, asbestos, personal and advertising injury, trigger of coverage, allocation, priority, anti-stacking, late notice, bad faith, and more.
David frequently speaks and writes on insurance coverage issues, including as an Expert Commentator for the International Risk Management Institute (IRMI).
David’s experience also includes representation of businesses in breach of contract, breach of warranty, UCC, and other complex commercial litigation. He has extensive experience dealing with complex e-discovery issues and managing large cases in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and has been successful obtaining monetary and other sanctions for e-discovery abuses.
Outside of work, David enjoys hiking with his family and woodworking.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2007
– Articles Editor, Brooklyn Law Review
- State University of New York at Geneseo, B.A. Political Science, magna cum laude, 2004
– Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
– Pi Sigma Alpha, National Political Science Honors Society
Admissions to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts of New York (Western, Southern, Northern)
- Litigation Counsel of America
– Associate Fellow
- New York State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
Presentations & PUBLICATIONS
- "More Confusion Regarding the 'Damage to Property' Exclusion." Florida Bar RPPTL Section's Insurance and Surety Committee, September 2019, Webinar.
- "Beyond the Eight Corners - Additional Insureds and Workers Comp." IRMI Expert Commentary, International Risk Management Institute (IRMI), August 2019.
- "Insurance for Today's Social Media Risks." Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce Chamber Counsel, June 2019, Rochester. (Co-Presenter)
- "Florida Codifies Insurers' Right to Contribution, Increases Surplus Lines Fees." Ward Greenberg Legal Update, June 2019. (Co-Author)
- "More Confusion Regarding the ‘Damage to Property’ Exclusion." IRMI Expert Commentary, International Risk Management Institute (IRMI), May 2019.
- "Avoiding Subcontractor Insurance Pitfalls." Risk Management Magazine, Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS), May 2019. (Co-Author)
- "Effective Risk Transfer: Indemnification and Insurance in Construction Contracts." ROBEX Magazine, Builders Exchange of Rochester, November 2018. (Co-Author)
- "Demystifying Insurance Coverage Requirements and Indemnity in Construction Contracts." Rochester Home Builders' Association Seminar, 2018.
- "Insurance Coverage: Additional, Horizontal, Vertical or Some Other Way." New York State Bar Association Seminar on Labor Law Claims, Coverage & Litigation, 2016.
- "Effective File Handling: Discoverability of Claim Files, Requests for Reserve Information, Bad Faith and More." New York State Bar Association, Law School for Insurance Professionals, 2015.
- "Declaratory Judgment Actions, Discovery & Trial." New York State Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Update, 2015.
- "Social Media: Liability and Coverage." PLRB/LIRB Annual Claims Conference, 2014. (Co-Author)
- Recipient of 2017 Sheldon Hurwitz Young Lawyer Award for outstanding contribution to the practice of law in the field of insurance from the Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Pancreatic Cancer Association of Western New York
– Planning Committee