Ward Greenberg’s Government and Internal Investigations group represents clients confronted with sensitive internal issues, or matters that have become the focus of governmental attention. Even the most compliant and conscientious organizations occasionally encounter serious problems putting organizational and personal reputations, business considerations, financial well-being, and much more on the line. Whether it be from allegations of workplace misbehavior or bullying, sexual misconduct, claims of wrongdoing advanced by whistleblowers, or government investigators knocking at the door, clients turn to Ward Greenberg for knowledgeable, cool-headed, and savvy counsel. Our lawyers, including former prosecutors and experienced defense counsel, move quickly, calmly, and discreetly to organize a coordinated response that minimizes exposure, unearths key information, and avoids serious institutional disruption.
Straightforward, responsive, and well-prepared, our team can assist with all aspects of the matter—conducting an effective and comprehensive internal probe, developing response strategies, interfacing with media relations teams, and helping stabilize operational activities. Drawing on our experience and technical competence, we help clients separate transgressing employees or vendors, respond to external investigative demands, and, where necessary, negotiate acceptable resolutions with prosecutors, regulators, and payors. If a negotiated resolution is not advisable or available, we have the depth of expertise to litigate the matter to resolution, whether in an agency hearing, or civil or criminal court.
- Conducted investigation into allegations of harassment and misconduct by divisional president of large, publicly-traded manufacturing firm, and providing report and recommendation to corporation’s board.
- Investigated and assessed allegations of financial impropriety by senior leadership of not-for-profit organization.
- Assisted large medical center in responding to a governmental investigation of service line provided through a third party, alleged to have engaged in potentially criminal conduct; the medical center was absolved of any wrongdoing or responsibility.
- Conducted internal investigation into claims that senior administrator at large medical center discriminated against hospital staff and violated institutional code of conduct, resulting in the imposition of recommended corrective action and in the avoidance of monetary exposure on the part of the institution.
- Investigated allegations by graduate student that University disciplinary process violated Title IX of the Civil Rights Act.
- Coordinated internal investigation into alleged embezzlement by corporate finance officers of a major corporation.
- Defended hospital in connection with grand jury investigation conducted by the New York State Attorney General’s Office concerning alleged performance of unnecessary surgical procedures and related allegations of wrongdoing.
- Represented principal of mortgage lending firm in federal grand jury investigation and subsequent criminal proceedings.
- Investigated allegations of scientific misconduct by institutional researchers, and assisted institution in execution of remedial plan.
- Conducted confidential internal investigation into allegedly intentional plan to document and bill for services never provided by independent contractor to major healthcare provider.
- Represented chemical repackager and senior management in criminal and civil antitrust/price fixing probe.
- Conducted investigations into alleged scheme by scientists employed at major research facility to secure kickbacks and other illegal financial remuneration by falsification of underlying research data.
- Represented chemical company in federal and state multi-agency criminal investigation related to allegedly unlawful chemical discharge.
- Defended surgical group and principals in Medicare investigation (criminal and civil) jointly conducted by HHS Office of Inspector General and Department of Justice.
- Investigated allegations of non-compliance with internal research protocols, including instances of failure to secure appropriate IRB review and approval prior to conducting human subject research.
- Represented client in internal investigation into allegations of IRB protocol violations by team of faculty research scientists.
- Represented medical providers in connection with investigations by HHS OIG, New York State Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General, and Department of Justice.
- Defended employers and senior managers in cases involving “whistleblower” liability under New York Labor Law Section 740, and Federal False Claims Act.
- Assist hospitals and healthcare providers with investigations related to alleged provision of medically unnecessary, unbundled, or unauthorized services.
- Regular coordination of and collaboration with internal audit and internal investigations staff into allegations of employee, faculty, and/or student misconduct.
- Regular representation of employers conducting internal investigations into claims of harassment, retaliation, discrimination, workplace bullying, and financial wrongdoing by supervisors or other employees.