Edward A. Greenberg, Partner
Practice Focus & Experience
Edward Greenberg represents businesses in civil litigation matters including construction, employment, products, contracts, negligence and insurance. Over the course of his 31-year career, he has conducted more than 100 jury and non-jury trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals. He has handled matters in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and Illinois. His cases have involved alleged construction errors and delays, fraud, commercial lease breaches, employment discrimination, insurance bad faith, insurance claims mishandling, retrospective premium overcharges, defects in consumer and industrial products, and negligence in hotels, bars, restaurants, pharmacies and retail stores.
Mr. Greenberg serves as a judge pro tempore conducting mediations in the Dispute Resolution Center of the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County and as an arbitrator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute and the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel. Each year since 2004, Mr. Greenberg has been selected by his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. For more than 20 years, he has had an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell
When he is not working, Mr. Greenberg enjoys motorcycle touring, downhill skiing, and cycling.
Representative engagements include:
- Won early dismissal (summary judgment) of race discrimination claim for major corporate client which was subsequently affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained favorable settlements for leading operator of luxury hotels requiring general contractor and subcontractors to reimburse cost of repairing extensive construction errors in Philadelphia and Chicago.
- Successfully tried to verdict insurer’s claim that insured failed to pay premiums due for worker’s compensation insurance and defeated insured’s counterclaim seeking compensatory and punitive damages for alleged claims mishandling.
- Negotiated early settlement of age discrimination claim.
- Received favorable jury verdict for corporate client accused of negligently failing to prevent child abuse.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict against claim that client’s failure to manufacture to specifications copper-nickel tubes caused significant damages to importer of parts for United Arab Emirates desalination plant.
- Won summary judgment for salvage company operator alleged to have caused life-threatening injuries as result of dangerous mode of operation.
- Successfully mediated claim that client improperly manufactured aluminum aircraft seat frames.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client accused of selling defectively processed brass used in plumbing valves.
- Won summary judgment for pharmaceutical distributor accused of contributing to pharmacy error in dispensing cancer medication.
- Received early dismissal of claim that client manufactured and sold defective floor coating.
- Won jury verdict rejecting claim that major insurer acted in bad faith in failing to settle general liability claim.
- Negotiated substantial recovery for office building owner that claimed contractor used defective materials in constructing roof.
- Obtained defense verdict for major corporate client accused of causing death of customer who bought gasoline and used it in kerosene heater.
- Achieved early and cost-effective settlement of claim for trade dress violation.
- Obtained complete dismissal of claim that owner of industrial property was liable to tenant of adjacent apartment complex for injuries sustained in abandoned concrete drainage pit.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1980
- Managing Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.S. Accounting, 1976
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- New Jersey, 1995
- U.S. District Courts of Pennsylvania (All Districts)
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Class Actions in New York: Recovery for Personal Injury in Mass Tort Cases, 30 Syracuse Law Review, 1979
- Tort Law Desk Reference: A Fifty-State Compendium, 2011 edition, New Jersey Contributing Editor, Wolters Kluwer.
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Pennsylvania
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
Comments are closed at this time.